Thursday, June 08, 2006

Summer - thoughts and musings

With the arrival of warmer weather, and a chance to enjoy the open spaces of the city parks, I've been allowing the brain a chance to wander off in different directions.

One thing that has struck me is the speediness of the passage of time over the last few months. The days sometimes feel endless but yet the months and weeks seem to speed past! I can't believe that its just me that notices this, or perhaps the countdown to mid-August has accentuated it. Throw in the number of 'final' meetings etc., and I suppose there's no surprise its zipping past.

I know its a subject I've harped on about before, on here, but the fact of leaving all my Hull friends behind as I depart for a more exciting life, has really made everything even more poignant. For years, these people have been my rocks, my buffers against the unpredictable currents of the world, and after August, I'll have to remake a lot of those anchors afresh. Stuart, Sharon, Helen, Deirdre and all the others through astronomy, Hull City and other groups in different areas, well, they'll all then be at a distance, just names on an email list. Although I hope it doesn't happen, will losing the personal, day-to-day contact mean I lose touch? Not if I have anything to do with it. In the past I've not been that good at keeping in touch with old friends but I'm going to try to change that this time. Finding other friends as good as these will take some doing, but I've no doubt I will in the end.

Another thing I've been pondering is the sheer unpredictability of life, and of my life in particular. When I was visiting the parents recently, my father's impending retirement had me thinking about the routine of going to work in the same place for 50 years, leaving the same house every morning for 30 years and so on. Its quite sobering to think on that, as its not something I know or will experience. I've just lurched from one thing to another, and yet the unpredictability has worked in my favour this time, as this time its given me a future and a chance at being the kind of person I thought I might be, from 20 years ago!

Sorry for the chapter instead of the usual verse, but the mind did wander a bit!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home